COVID-19 update

Council is continuing to update information for residents.

We're here to support you, so if you need, contact us in the following ways:

Important information for residents and businesses can be found here.

Dismiss alert

What does Council do?

What Councils Do

Councils decide what services they will provide locally, however, there are some services which Councils are required to provide by legislation.

These include:

  • planning and development services, including building assessment
  • some environmental health services, such as monitoring cooling towers for Legionnaire's Disease
  • fire prevention (some building inspection, and some bushfire prevention planning functions are a duty, others are discretionary)
  • some administrative requirements, such as preparing strategic plans for the area, maintaining an office, employing a Chief Executive Officer and supporting the elected Council.
Discretionary Services Provided for the Wakefield Regional Council Community
  • Abandoned and impounded vehicles
  • Administration of area (including special events; political lobbying, etc).
  • Aged care services (eg passenger transport)
  • Animals and keeping of non-domestic pets
  • Animal and plant control (agriculture) through the local board
  • BBQ's in parks and reserves
  • Building applications
  • Business development
  • By-Laws
  • Car parks
  • Clean air controls
  • Citizenship
  • Community bus
  • Community care
  • Community functions (eg Australia Day)
  • Community grants
  • Community halls and centres
  • Community information
  • Community services directory
  • Council newsletter
  • Council property
  • Cycle and walking tracks
  • Economic development
  • Emergency services levy on council property
  • Environmental health matters
  • Environmental issues
  • European wasp
  • Financial loans for community groups
  • Fire prevention
  • Footpaths
  • Grant procurement - capital projects
  • Grants - community assistance
  • Home maintenance assistance (government program)
  • Immunisation
  • Insurance - community buildings and other assets
  • Insurance - public liability (cost in 2007/2008 $76,397.00)
  • Land development - residential
  • Legislative enforcement - general
  • Library services
  • Lighting - streets/public places
  • Litter control
  • Local history
  • Noticeboards (public)
  • Ovals, Parks and Reserves
  • Parking bays
  • Parking controls
  • Patrol grading
  • Planning consent and court appeals
  • Playgrounds
  • Property searches (land agent enquiries etc)
  • Public cemeteries
  • Public seating
  • Public toilets
  • Recreational/Sporting facilities
  • Road management
  • Rubbish collection
  • Rubbish disposal - transfer stations and landfill
  • Signs - moveable/permanent
  • Street closures
  • Street lighting
  • Street sweeping
  • Street tree planting
  • Stormwater drainage (eg catchment facilities, kerbing, etc)
  • Swimming pools (public)
  • Tourism promotion
  • Traffic control devices
  • Tree trimming (roadsides and other public places)