COVID-19 update

Council is continuing to update information for residents.

We're here to support you, so if you need, contact us in the following ways:

Important information for residents and businesses can be found here.

Dismiss alert

Food safety

Food Standards Australia and New Zealand is a government agency which controls the Food Standards Code that all food handling businesses must comply with.

The code is used to ensure that all food being offered for sale is fit for human consumption. All food outlets are required to be registered under the Food Legislation. Food businesses must notify Council before they begin trading.

For any further advice on these matters please contact the Council Office by phoning 8862 0800, or email

Food Complaints

Council will investigate any reports relating to unsafe food practices in businesses within Wakefield. We are guided by the South Australian Food Act 2001 and reports could relate to food poisoning, sighting poor food handling or foreign matter found in food (glass, hair, plastic, etc).

To submit a request to Council:

To report an issue or lodge a request for service:

Food Business Notification

Before a food business can begin trading, they must notify Council. This includes home-based businesses, where a person is selling and/or making products from their residence. Please contact Council using one of the options above.

All food handled for sale must comply with the Food Act 2001 and Food Regulations 2002, and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.

Food Business Inspections

Our Environmental Health Officer (EHO) conduct routine inspections on all food businesses across the region, including temporary or mobile food businesses and home-based businesses.

Food at Events

When food is being sold during an event, including for donations, a Major Event Permit must be prepared and sent to Council. Even if you are only 'asking' or 'inviting' for donations in return for food or homemade goods (jams, chuntey, baked goods such as cakes etc), you still need to lodge a Major Event Permit. Any handling of food to the public MUST be permitted when in an event setting.

Food Safety Training