COVID-19 update

Council is continuing to update information for residents.

We're here to support you, so if you need, contact us in the following ways:

Important information for residents and businesses can be found here.

Dismiss alert

Environmental Health

Health Services

Wakefield Regional Council strives to protect and promote a high standard of public and environmental health within the Council area. Public and environmental health services form part of the Community & Development Services department which is one of the three service delivery areas of Council.

Activities and Responsibilities

Public and environmental health services is responsible for the administration of Council's responsibilities as required by various Acts and Regulations which deal with:

  • Public and environmental health
  • Food safety and hygiene
  • Environmental protection and pollution prevention.
Public and Environmental Issues

Public and environmental health covers a wide range of activities and conditions that can affect the health of the community. The responsibilities of the division are categorised into three main areas:

  • Health premises inspections
  • Public and environmental health investigations
  • Vector control (headlice, flys, cockroaches, mosquitoes, mice and rats).
Food Safety and Hygiene

Food safety and hygiene covers a wide range of activities and responsibilities involved in the administration of the Food Act 2001, Regulations 2002 and Food Standards. The objectives of these activities are to ensure that food offered for sale is fit for human consumption. The main categories in the food surveillance areas are:

  • Food premises inspection
  • Enforcement of food legislation
  • Food business notification advice
  • Food education courses
  • Food complaints investigations
  • Temporary catering advice.

All food outlets are required to be registered under the Food Legislation.

For any further advice on these matters please contact the Council Office by phoning 8862 0800, or email