Pest Plants & Animals
To protect the local environment and industries it's important pest plants and animals are well controlled and managed.
Pest plants that are a significant threat to agriculture, the natural environment and public health and safety are called declared plants. Land owners have a legal responsibility to manage these plants. The Natural Resources Management (NRM) Act 2004 sets out the legal framework for:
- banning the sale of declared weeds
- controlling the movement of declared weeds
- destroying or controlling infestations of declared weeds
- notifying authorities when an infestation is detected.
Natural Resources Northern and Yorke has a clearly defined approach to managing pests and useful information about declared plants of South Australia, what is being done locally to manage pest plants and advice for local landholders.
Here are some useful links from the Natural Resources Northern and Yorke website:
- Lower Mid North District - Managing pest plants factsheet
- Yorke Peninsula District - Managing pest plants factsheet